We’re well on our way to making the dream of opening a Ten Thousand Villages store in State College a reality. Review the general steps below and see how far we’ve come. Join us in this exciting effort and get involved.
Steps to making our dream a reality and the progress we’ve made so far.
- Build a network of supporters in the State College area that are willing to help make this dream a reality.
Status Update – We are well on our way. Our Facebook page had 769 Like on December 17.Keep spreading the word!
- Receive preliminary approval from Ten Thousand Villages.
Completed – Representatives from Ten Thousand Villages were in State College on September 19 at a meeting attended by more than thirty local supporters. Based on a review of the State College area and the support at the evening meeting, Ten Thousand Villages believes that State College is a viable location for a new store and gave us the approval to move ahead.
- Incorporate as a non-profit.
Completed – We have filed articles of incorporation for a new non-profit named Ten Thousand Villages of Central PA, Inc.
- Form the initial board of directors and governing bylaws that will oversee the development and operation of a store.
Completed – We had our first meeting on February 3, 2017 where we elected officers, approved our bylaws and took other necessary steps to formalize the non-profit. See who is serving on the board of directors.
- Create our business plan for approval by Ten Thousand Villages.
Status Update – This is a work in progress. We created a committee to focus on the business plan and have a draft plan. We are also working with Penn State students from the SMEAL College of Business to develop the plan. We will need to identify a store location to complete the final plan.
- File for 501(3)(c) status with the IRS.
Completed – We received our IRS Determination letter on February 24, 2017 and have been approved as a 501(3)(c) charitable organization with an effective exemption date of October 14, 2016.
- Raise a minimum of $100,000 in start-up capital required to open a new store.
Status Update – We have raised over $70,000. We also have confirmed that we are eligible for a $50,000 matching grant from the Mennonite Central Committee (MCC)., We still need your help so go ahead and make a donation now!
- Find a suitable store location location.
Status Update – We are actively looking for a store location, but have discovered the State College commercial real estate market is somewhat challenging. If you become of aware of available retail locations that might meet our needs, let Joel Weidner know (firstname.lastname@example.org). We are looking for 1,200 to 1,500 square feet of space.
- Open a store, and start selling fairly traded goods!